Thursday, August 9, 2007

Tight, but it Fits

Tight. Last night we eeked out a 4-3 win against the nefarious Braves. It's still a win, so I am going to focus on that. I am not going to micromanage the situation, a la an insecure politician. Instead, I am going to focus on El Duque's good pitching, nice bats from the new boy and Shawn Green's 4 for 4 night... nice! I don't think I didn't want to mention Billy Wagner here, as it will just ruin the groove. But man, that guy makes me more nervous than a truss bridge.

They've just got to keep it up. After all, Mets fans are lucky these days, right?

I leave today for sunny, beautiful Barcelona, where there is a lot of technology, so it may be possible to both keep up with the Mets AND maybe even blog about it.

3 comments:

MEC said...

A very good win. Houdini...err, Wagner did a great job. He had to make the big pitches, and he did. He's been great all season, 26-27 in save opps. and 19 innings of scoreless ball, just nasty.

Castillo and Reyes remind me a lot of Juan Pierre and Castillo in 2003 when they won the WS...and beat the Yankees. They both can hit, steal, and assume the leadoff role. I no longer get crazy when the Reyes ends an inning. Castillo's broken bat (which died a good death) was vintage, and welcomed him to the Mets. You need a big hit to really be part of a team. Easly did it earlier this year with that homer in Arizona, too.

The Braves are scarier than they were last year. I guess that had something to do with a 12 game lead. But they are a better team with Teixiera, Mayhay, and Dotel. But I do believe the Mets have enough to hang on. Is it just me or has it been one of those seasons where we keep saying, whats wrong with the Mets, yet we find ourselves in first place every day?

Anyway, sorry for the lag in responses, but I'm back.

Unknown said...

Wagner is more than nasty.... filthy is the word. And while he has given me my share of heartburn and stress, he really is probably one of the best closers in baseball and is having a v good year.

Agreed on Castillo and Reyes. I like the combo a lot and I think it can fuel us til October.

Are the Braves better or are we not as good as last year? I think it is a little of both. We lost some pitching this year that we didn't have last year (Pedro). But, I think we also have really developed Maine and Oli, which is better in the long run (or until their contracts run out).

Nonetheless, you are back and I am off on vacay. Enjoy the time MEC, will try to blog from BCN.

MEC said...

Nasty, filthy, dirty, you pick. Sounds good, enjoy your time off- if there is such a thing.