Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Now That Hurt!


I tried to write last night, but the pain was just too great. A tough one. A spanking. Worse than being Mike Gravel, left out of last night's Presidential debate. 7-3 loss to the Braves.

I'm blaming this on my upcoming vacation, which starts tomorrow. A lack of focus by the Mets, a lack of focus by me.

I'm trying to keep it together.... to not let the pessimism, the weight of the years of losses pile up and blind me to a couple of things.

1. We've stayed in first place all season. This does not happen to crappy teams. This happens to teams that have a shot at the playoffs.

2. We have been ravaged by injuries by our first string of players and we have still managed #1.

3. We have some amazing talent and I have to believe in it. But more importantly, they need to believe in themselves.

I guess all this madness comes from being so close, yet so far. Yes, we are in first place, but our lead just shrunk by a game, something we could ill afford. When you're ahead, anything that chips away at that lead, that threatens it, hurts more than never being there in the first place.

Sigh. It's gonna be ok. We'll both be back. The Mets before me, I hope.

No comments: