Friday, June 8, 2007

You're Not Just A Number, Are You?


Sometimes in life, you're just a number. A Social Security number. A number in the deli waiting to order your sandwich. Your Amex number as you type it into Amazon. A seat number on an airplane as you try and haggle for an aisle.

In baseball, it is no different. It took me at least one season to understand IPs and Ks and RBIs and all that crap. Look at Johnny Maine. No one knew who he was until his April numbers were the best in baseball.

But we all know that we are more than number 91 or seat 12A. So these guys are more than ERAs and more importantly, number of losses in a row. I have been on a plane all day and have not had a chance to read the post mortems, but this is where my head is.

Call it spin, but I need something to cheer me up other than the Braves have also lost the last three.

No comments: