Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Fashion of Baseball


The Mets lost today, although I am not bitter. Oli needed a day off and truthfully, Pelfrey has had worse meltdowns than today's - his last five starts in the majors.

But I am not returning to that place. Things are getting better. The Two of the Carlos Three are making stuff happen. And to help the press coverage, the fan psyche and most important, the team psyche, Carlos boldly predicted after they lost the Twins series, the team needed to go 8 and 2. And they've got 8-2. Movin' on up.

I did not see today's game; I traveled back from Philly after a fab brunch off Rittenhouse Square, which is now my favorite park in America that is actually a square. It could be the spectacular weather that has enveloped the east coast, but I just loved Philly. Although I could never love their team!

So my favorite recollection about Citizens Park was this kinda angry, 50 something, moustached, Phillies fan who asked us dripping with jealous sarcasm, "How many different outfits do you guys have?" Me and the random cute Met fans sitting next to me explained that we had 4 different uniforms.

The guy was obviously jealous, as the Philles (although they have a good stadium), they have just two uniforms. And I poked around today and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the number of uniforms a team wears. The Brewers have 4; the Angels have 4; the Nats, Braves, Orioles and Red Sox all have three.

I know all my blog readers are not quite the fashionista that I am, but you are all baseball fans. Any idea why this is?

The Anna Wintour in me thanks you.

No comments: