Monday, July 30, 2007

Time to Trade in the Honda....


The Mets are off tonight, headed to Milwaukee and what I expect will be a tough series for the boys from Queens. But clearly the news of the day is the 2nd base upgrade to Luis Castillo, a hot prospect indeed. I think Gotay really tried, but in the end, this team needs more than a Honda to be where we want to be come the fall. And a three-time Golden Glove winner is more juice than your standard V-6; it's kinda like a Porsche.

While injuries have ravished our defense, in particular 2nd base, it can't be denied that we need a little dynamite added to our batting lineup. We need another .300 plus hitter... my boyfriend David is close, but none of our other bats have been able to come through this year - the Carloses or Shawn Green specifically. I can' t wait to see the Jose/Luis cocktail at one- two... let's hope it really is as delicious as it looks to be today.

2 comments:

MEC said...

What did I tell you? Carlos Beltran was placed on the DL, retroactive to the 26th, and will be out until the 9th (check my math). Meaning he will now baby this injury for another two weeks after he comes off the DL, taking him until almost September.

I do like the Castillo deal. Buttt, I do no longer equate him to a Porsche, sorry. He was a Porshe in 2000. He is more like a nice 3-series BMW. Yes, better defensively than Gotay, but offensively, Gotay was doing a nice job. I think this is a good deal for the Mets. They have the cash to take on the salary, and Gotay will have another shot next year since he is so young. Castillo is also an option next year after he comes off the books this winter. All in all, do I believe the Mets are a better team today than yesterday? Absolutely. I just don't think Castillo is half the Porsche he used to be.

Unknown said...

MEC, you were so right about Carlos, unfortunately. But I would give him an extra week if it means he is a beast come September.

Another point with Castillo is that our bench is now empty. We need backup just in case. Gotay has been solid, but now is when we need the upgrade.