Monday, October 1, 2007

Sitting Shivah


It's dead. Over. And I did not really talk about it today and asked everyone in the office (the boys really), to not talk to me about baseball today. They didn't.

The rabid NY media have already started feeding on the corpse of the 2007 Mets, so I won't be too harsh as I join the group 'o buzzards. But what I will say is that I don't think Willie deserves to be fired. I think the end result was a team that had a lot of talent, but ravaged by injuries could never again quite find the full glory of those sweet spring days.

Pitching was always a nagging problem and in the end it took us down. Aging pitching, along with young pitching with tons of potential proved to be the wrong combination for a long season. The older bodies couldn't hack it, the younger ones proved to be too inconsistent to deliver every time (although I think both John Maine and Oliver Perez were highlights of this team and will deliver for years to come).

Oli and Johnny were not the only highlights.... David Wright was spectacular all around and we'll see more of him next year. Mosies Alou, at 41, was key to keeping us even half alive in the second half of the season. The youngins' --- Endy, Anderson, and Milledge all have lots of potential.

Just a bit on attitude: Post All Star Break there was definitely a slide in the attitude of some of the players. And this is the thing that lost it for the Mets. They collapsed on themselves.

It doesn't change how sad I am. I will watch the playoffs and will occasionally post my thoughts about them. But I won't be rooting for anyone, my season has passed.

No comments: