Monday, October 29, 2007

RIP 2007

It's over. Boston won. I have many a friend who had a spring in their step this morning (albeit a tired one), relishing the Boston win combined with enjoying the arrogance of A-Rod and that Scott Boras character.

Nonetheless, one of my favorite people in the office (our intern), asked me today if I thought the outcome was an indicator of the dominance of the American League over the National League. I had to weigh the facts. While last year was an NL victor (the Cardinals), the last 10 years have been dominated by the AL. But what I decided is the Colorado Rockies probably didn't represent the best the NL had to offer. Why you ask? They were good, but not the best at anything. The best hitting in the NL? The Phillies. The best pitching? San Diego.

It's not that I don't like the Rockies; I'm just not sure they were the best team in the NL in 2007. Oh well, is the WS about the best team anyway? Not necessarily. Sometimes these types of contests are not indicative of the best in show. Look at some of the past Presidential races.

No comments: