Monday, May 7, 2007

Tonight's Duel


I have the Yankees on in the background tonight and the crawl on ESPN just reminded me that Oliver is pitching tonight against Barry Zito. For my readers who also read my postings on the TNR blog Deep in the Count, you will recall that I one point I wished for Barry Zito to be a Met.

After last night's mediocre performance by Pelfrey, maybe I still am. But let's see how Oliver does against ballbuster Barry Bonds and how Zito holds up against our battered batters (in case you are not paying attention, both Beltran and Alou did not play last night).

Update: Poor Oliver. Someone in the Mets back office is lamenting as I did last year about Zito after last night. A crap call in the 5th gave SF the groove and Oli went down, along with the rest of the team (2 errors in the 5th!) to give SF 6 of 9 runs in one damn inning. Worse than falling out of the groove. Like line-dancing at a disco. Ouch!

2 comments:

Gwyneth said...

To play off of your 20s theme from last week, my take is that Roger Clemens coming back to the Yankees is like the old bf who dumped you showing up at a wedding with the high school homecoming queen, right? At least on the surface, it seems like a death blow -- but there's always a chance that when you get up close, you'll see that he's wearing hair plugs...

Unknown said...

And if you are the Red Sox, you are his first wife who put him through law school and didn't get shit for alimony.

I know there's a lot of Red Sox fan who read this, so take heart in this from someone who has a bunch of 30 plus dudes on her team - in can be over at any second. And I gotta tell ya, Roger looks a little chubby and delicious.