Sunday, May 6, 2007

Ole, Jose!

Since the Mets have been out on the west coast and I am too wimpy to stay up for the scores, I took the opportunity to go to a DC United game this past week. For those who might think this some farm team for the Nats, I have news for you… it is DC’s own four time Major League Soccer champions. Although they are more like the Nats than the Mets these days, just one floor above the basement in their division.

Three soccer observations:

1. Soccer loves their fans. At the end of the game, the players applauded the stands. This is something I could never imagine baseball players doing. Then again, the fans were much more antagonistic towards the opposition than in baseball. It was more then applause when the Yankees lose (which happens at almost every baseball game I have ever been to). The fans, who call themselves the Screaming Eagles (and who were kick ass) yelled things like “Fuck you, ref” and “Fuck New England” in unison and loudly for 5-minute stints. They kept the drums, chanting and flag waving up for all 90 minutes.

Maybe it is because the sport lacks the popularity of baseball. Or because it is not as lucrative for the players. Whatever it is, there is a really nice connection between players and fans that I have not witnessed in any other professional sport.

2. The game ended in a tie, which is sort of unsatisfying for me. I want the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. In life, are there ever really ties? What the hell do you learn from a tie?

3. The players were younger, hotter and had better bodies than baseballers. But they do have a chant that reminded me of one of baseball’s cuter players… “O-le, o-le, ole, ole, ole.” For a moment, I closed my eyes and I was at Shea Stadium. The only things missing were the airplanes and the crack of the bats.

1 comment:

Marc said...

I love the line about tie! So true! That should be your title for the posting.