Thursday, May 17, 2007

Luck O' Something


Unbelievable. Today, in the NINTH inning, the Mets came back and scored 5 runs to beat the Cubs. Call it the luck of something, but this was walk off victory number 2 for the Mets this week. The winning run today was actually hit by Carlos Delgado, the same guy who won Monday's game by getting the bottom of the 9th, 2 out walk. Nice symmetry to end the series.

What made today's victory especially nice was that the Mets were as broke down as I was today (I had some wine with dinner last night and went to bed too late) because of this morning's nearly 1 am finish. My only remiss is that I am lacking my own top notch backup squad.

Not sure if it's those haircuts or what, but this is delicious momentum for a weekend of hand to hand combat with the nine- games-out-of-first-place Yankees. Nah, I am not gloating. Actually, I am not. If you remember my earlier post, the Yankees are like John McCain and no one has any idea what the hell will happen to either one of them. One thing baseball and politics have in common: you never want to peak too early, a la Howard Dean. What team wants to be known as the Howard Dean of baseball? Right now, it might be the Brewers after their spanking by the lackluster Phillies.

Oli is pitching tomorrow. Let's hope the luck o'something is not just Irish.

No comments: