Thursday, May 29, 2008

Beautiful


It was a beautiful spring evening when the Mets took to the field to play the Marlins. I watched the first inning, saw the Mets score two and decided it was too beautiful to stay in watching baseball.

So I walked. I walked through the city, people were outside drinking, running, biking, errand running. It was spring and everyone was soaking up the delicious weather. I come back in the 6th, only to see the Mets down 5-4. And then Endy! tied it up. NB: For those of you unfamiliar with my blog, I always call him Endy! after that amazing catch at the 2006 NLCS. It should be noted, I haven't had too much to Endy! about so far this season.

Maybe it was spring, maybe it was the pressure, maybe it was the self realization that they are a great team. They sure played like one. Second stringer Tatis with the clutch hitting, a fantastic bullpen, even Ollie kept it together. My personal favorite extra innings play was the Sanchez bunt; even after getting smacked by a pitch he came back, bunted and ran his mightiest to first. He didn't make it, but man... he tried. He tried so hard, as ever single one of them did.

And that my friends, is indeed beautiful. 7-6 beautiful.

No comments: