Sunday, June 8, 2008

At Least Someone's Winning

Ah Metsies...you're killing me, killing me. The series of losses endured against San Diego have been tragic... matzo bats are the death knell. Oh well, at least the pitching hasn't fallen apart, right?

The good news is that yesterday I toured Buenos Aires on a bicycle and just loved it. Although the drivers are a bit sketch, it was thankfully a weekend and I managed to survive without incident. On the tour, we went through a neighborhood called La Boca, which is the namesake of the soccer team. The team- the Boca Juniors - seem to be quite the rage in BsAs and even throughout Latin America according to my sources. All over you can see people in Boca Jr's gear. I daresay they are the New York Yankees of soccer. But this year, they lost to Brazil.

There's another team in Buenos Aires. But it appears they are less adored by the throngs of soccer afficiandos across the land. River Platte they are called and they suffer from second class status. In fact, I have yet to see more than a splash of red and white around town. Sound familiar?

But, how tables turn. They are now the team that is making stuff happen. Today they beat Olimpo for the Clausura Tournament. And La Boca? Done. Toast.

So while maybe the boys of River aren't as popular, it appears they are better. At least the less popular boy wins sometimes.


No comments: