Friday, October 3, 2008

Wishes For 2009


I know I was a crappy blogger this year, so just say it. Almost as crappy a blogger as the Mets were crappy ballplayers in September. But it's over, I'm not watching anymore baseball and will only occasionally blog during the off season as circumstances warrant. I will, however, offer my thoughts on what is needed for next year.

1. I like Jerry. Keep him. He came along late, but he definitely pushed the Metropolitans in the right direction.

2. I am becoming skeptical on the youngins' - Jose Reyes and David Wright. Yes they is cute. Yes they can make the plays - most of the time. But when it comes to being clutch, Jose ain't your guy and neither is David. You may all boo me, you may call me a traitor. But face the facts... they have a been 50 percent of the nucleus of the team for the last 2 years (and '06 too, of course). And I don't have to tell you how that went down. One more year I say. Maybe maturity and the last two years can give them the confidence to pull it out when we need it most.

3. Pitching. Disastre. Need I say more. Closer, another solid starter (at least one), a setup man. We need more help in our bullpen than George Bush will need building a positive legacy.

4. Leave the Carloses. I know they ain't young, but they're good. Keep 'em another year.

5. Shop for a second baseman, Castillo has sucked. Would be nice to get someone that can hit AND play second base, especially since we haven't seen either from Luis all year.

It was a hard baseball year, almost harder than the '06 collapse. I think this was because July gave me hope. And then September crushed it to bits. It's all a little Hillary Clintonian. Everyone talked about you, you were the one to beat. But in the end, fizzle. She fought, we fought. But in the end, our adversaries proved to be stronger.

At least for some of us there's always next year. 

No comments: